Thursday 16 March 2017

Red and White Quilt

This is another FAL Q1 finish ( no 14) ( original list here). Many moons ago I decided to make a red and white quilt but quickly lost interest, as is often the case. I should have been more organised and limited  the blocks to solid only white and red which, in retrospect , gives a more satisfying result, but of course, I didn't do that!. Anyway, I abandoned it . I recently decided to resurrect it as a quilt for Siblings Together rather than it languishing in my cupboard.


I rejected a couple of blocks I had made, because they didn't work, which left me with 8 blocks. I made a ninth block ( Ohio Star) and decided to add a large border rather than make more blocks.


I used the same border fabric for the back, fabric I had bought some time ago. My husband helpfully asked if I had cut up a table cloth to make the border.


I decided to quilt the middle of the quilt with sort of matchstick style quilting as I had not tried this before.The edges I quilted with a freehand swirl


To give it some sort of continuity I sashed the central nine blocks with Kona red and then bound it with the same Kona red.

Quilt Stats
Size: 57 inches square
Blocks made with a variety of red fabrics and Kona snow.
Wadding: 100% cotton from roll
Backing:Pristine Paisleyby Swirly Girl Designs for Moda Club House
Binding in Kona Red
Quilted with Glide in Linen on top and Decobob 80 wt in white in bobbin

Linking up with FAL Q1




Charm About You

No comments:

Post a Comment