Tuesday 29 March 2016

Whirly Gig Quilt

I hope everyone had a fun Easter break. I was lucky enough to have lots of visitors ( and subsequently lots of cooking to do).  The weather wasn't kind enough to do the planned walk up the Sugarloaf on Easter Sunday, but that was OK.
I managed to finish my Whirly Gig quilt which is another one for Siblings Together and probably my last make in Quarter 1 of the finish- a- long ( original list here ). I was donated a pile of fabric to make a ST quilt and I have used some of it in this quilt, along with scraps and my stash.

 
 
It's a very simple but effective pattern made from 2 strips of fabric ( 1 low volume and 1 bright fabric) cut into 4 subunits. I chose to set the blocks on point to give the blocks more 'movement'. I was able to make the blocks as leaders and enders which I find a very useful technique to get more made ( I'm quite a slow sewer, so every little helps!)
 
I backed it with an extra wide white dot on red , which I also used for the binding.
 
 
 
I don't prewash my fabric because I've never had a problem with dye running before and I like the fact that the dressing on the fabrics make them easier to sew with. I might have to reconsider with darker fabrics like this red although I always put 2 or 3 dye catchers in the machine when I wash my quilts. This time some, but not all,  of the lighter fabrics have a slightly pink tinge or look slightly grungey. In the overall scheme of things, it's not too bad as some of the fabrics have maintained a bright white colour, so it's only noticeable to me because I know what the original colour was. However, I have a large piece of the backing left, which I intend to use on another quilt back and I'll definitely be washing it beforehand.
 
 
 
Of course, sod's law dictated that the binding strips I had cut were about 4 inches short, so I had to insert this tiny piece of binding left over from my Bright Bamboo quilt.
 
I  try to use a new to me quilting pattern whenever I can, so I used a peapod design on this one. I'm not sure if I'll use it again as an overall pattern but maybe as a filler. I have a new roll of wadding ( Hobbs Heirloom 100% cotton) which is slightly thinner than my last roll but seems to crinkle more after washing ( good job I like the crinkly look!!)
 
 
 
Quilt Stats
 
Pattern inspired by this Tessellation Quilt  from Rita of Red Pepper quilts
 
Size: Approximately 64 x 64 inches
 
Fabric : Donated fabric and my stash on front, Riley Blake extra wide white spot on red on the back and for binding
 
Wadding : Hobbs Heirloom 100% cotton
 
Quilted with Glide in grey on top and Wonderfil Decobob in white in bobbin
 




 

2 comments:

  1. I love simple quilts that look great. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic quilt for Siblings Together - this one will make a child very, very happy! Thank you for participating in the 2016 FAL, on behalf of the global 2016 FAL leaders :o)

    ReplyDelete