Monday 24 August 2015

Carlton's Quilt

It's been a busy month for me so far on the sewing front, with both FOQ and a 2 day quilting course at Cottonpatch with the fabulous Angela Walters. I'll say no more, just in case I decide to do another post. I enjoyed them both immensely!!

Onto Carlton's quilt, which is now finished. This is my second finish of FAL third quarter ( original post here ). Carlton is the four year son of my niece Angharad and her partner Dan. You may remember that Angharad committed suicide last October. Carlton stays every weekend with my BIL and SIL to give Dan a break and to allow them to see their grandson. This quilt is for his bed in their house. I wanted to make a quilt that would last him for a few years but would also act as a sort of eye spy quilt, as Carlton has poor language skills for his age.

 In the end, I chose to make another trip around the world quilt, but with the middle strip of the block being white, with the surrounding strips getting progressively darker. So each block has one strip of white, pale blue, aqua, royal blue, lime and navy.

 
 
 
 
 
The back is a extra wide quilt back from Riley Blake.
 

 
 
I quilted it with zigzag lines to echo the back and to give it a more masculine look.
 
 
The binding is Kona navy blue with a small strip of lime green.
 
 
 
 
Quilt Stats:
 
Size: 6ft x 5 ft approx. ( I forgot to measure it after washing)
 
Pattern: Trip around the world by Bonnie Hunter using strips from my stash
 
Back : Extra wide zigzag in white and aqua by Riley Blake 
 
Binding: Kona navy with a strip of Kona  chartreuse
 
Wadding: 100% cotton by Fabric Freedom from roll
 
Quilted with Glide 17543 in light grey on top and bottom line #622 in gray
 
 
Linking up with Adrianne when the time comes
 
 
 

 


 
 

2015 FAL at On the Windy Side

3 comments:

  1. What a great quilt for a little boy. I'm sure it will keep Carlton cosy and warm and be part of his memories of staying with his grandparents when he's older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a wonderful quilt and I bet Carlton loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great quilt. I love the patterns that emerge when it's viewed from a distance. Well done on your finish. Visiting as a member of the official 2015 Finish-Along cheerleading squad.

    ReplyDelete