Friday 4 April 2014

The End of an Era

Well, that's it. I'm now officially a retired person. It is a very strange feeling, partly like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders and partly some anxiety about the future. I have been in school, university or working since I was 5 years old ( with the exception of two 5 months breaks for maternity leave) so this is very novel.
It's also strange cleaning out 20 years worth of accumulated rubbish from my office. I  had never thrown out all the old lectures/teaching sessions on overheads or slides, even though they had been superseded by Power Point and online learning. I had collected shelves worth of old research papers, teaching handouts, academic journals etc. It was very liberating to throw it all in the bin.

I had a lovely send off  with this wonderful cake, which unfortunately Mr Hare couldn't resist, so I haven't got any before photos.

 
The red ball in the middle is meant to be a pin cushion and it did have the most wonderfully crafted pins on it  which unfortunately got knocked off on the trip home. As you can see, it's absolutely brilliant! We did not eat it all ( it was huge!) so I took it back to work for everyone to have a share.
 
 
I also had a fantastic bunch of flowers, which again I forgot to photograph, so here they are a few days later:
 
 
 
 
They had kindly made a collection for me and I was given a huge wodge of cash. I have already spent most of it on quilty things! I ordered some fabric which has yet to arrive  but these goodies have arrived:
 
 
 
 
 
 
I will have a meal out with all my colleagues at a later date.
 
 I have been frantically trying to revalidate , so I could go and do VSO or other work abroad. The GMC in it's wisdom has declared all doctors have to revalidate every 5 years. This is an entirely paper ( well computer) exercise and will not stop any future Harold Shipmans. Unfortunately, my number came up in the first tranch so I have been jumping through all the necessary hoops. I had my final appraisal on my last day. All my patient reviews are in and I'm just waiting for the 360 degree multisource feedback from my colleagues. I had done a few for colleagues before I left and quite honestly anyone would have to be seriously bad not to get a good review.  Anyway, I hope that it will all be done in time. My revalidation date is mid May, so I should be alright.
 
All this paper work has left little time for sewing, but I hope to rectify that in the next few weeks.
 
 

 


12 comments:

  1. Happy retirement!!! I can't wait to see what you do next...and your new fabric ;o) Your rulers and dies look great - have fun with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And breathe…. Looks like you have the whole of April to sew then with all your new goodies! Congratulations on retiring XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. With all that revalidation business it doesn't sound like you've retired at all! Enjoy the next phase of life - the thought of being able to do what you when you want sounds thrilling.

    Plenty of time for sewing now. I expect great things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on getting out! and perhaps you will be able to take things a little more gently now?? Or perhaps not!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just think of all the wonderful quilts that are in your future now you have so much more spare time. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy retirement!!!!! And so lovely to your colleagues to give you some spending money for some new projects to keep you occupied!!! Enjoy your spare time x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a brilliant cake. The world is now your oyster, what an exciting time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I gather that my question yesterday was quite unnecessary - but that's what happens if you read the newest entries on bloglovin' first :o) So I officially wish you a happy and adventurous retirement, Carol! Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing you the very very best for your retirement. I'm sure you'll re-adjust pretty quickly. My eyes lit up at your mention of VSO or similar - John and I have always said we'd like to do that once he/we retire. I will look forward to hearing what you get up to! Juliex

    ReplyDelete
  10. happy days Carol !!! the cake was fab wow and all your quilty bit are going to be so useful have a wonderful retirement you will be able to make a start on the longarm now have fun...... hugs Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  11. well done! I hope you have a fabulous retirement although I'm guessing you'll end up busier than ever! Love the cake x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on your retirement Carol! Oh wow think of the possibilities of endless sewing days and no work pressures or commitments any more!! Yes it must be a strange feeling but I'm sure you'll be filling the time before you know it and you'll wonder how you ever had time for a job!! And there's always lots of online courses/classes if you want something more structured... enjoy every minute xx PS wow that cake was amazing!

    ReplyDelete